Saturday, January 29, 2011

Birds I've Seen

Having been inspired yet again by Mr. Greg, and the numerous birds I've been seeing here in watery Bakersfield, I decided to post a list of the various species I've seen lately.  These are all from home (somewhere in Los Angeles) or at the project site, north of Bakersfield.



Long-billed curlew, Numenius americanus

Black-necked stilt, Himantopus mexicanus

Mourning dove, Zenaida macroura

Red-crowned parrot, Amazona viridigenalis

Greater road-runner, Geococcyx californianus (he was sunning himself)

Burrowing owl, Athene cunicularia

Anna's hummingbird, Calypte anna

Loggerhead shrike, Lanius ludovicianus

Western scrub-jay, Aphelocoma californica

Northern mockingbird, Mimis polyglottos

Vesper sparrow, Pooecetes gramineus

Western meadowlark, Sturnella neglecta

Great blue heron, Ardea herodias

Great egret, Ardea alba

Snowy egret, Egretta thula

Black-crowned night heron, Nycticorax nycticorax (I've seen several juveniles, too)

Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos

Northern pintail, Anas acuta

Northern shoveler, Anas clypeata

Cinnamon teal, Anas cyanoptera

Northern Harrier, Circus cyaneus

Red-tailed hawk, Buteo jamaicensis

Swainson's hawk, Buteo swainsoni

American coot, Fulica americana

Killdeer, Charadrius vociferus

The links all go to the Cornell Ornithology Lab website "All About Birds."  This is a fun site with lots of FAQ's, some great photos and video, and various sounds from lots of birds.  Check them out!



1 comment:

  1. All right! :)
    Did you see my Valentine Short-eared Owl on Facebook. People thought I photoshopped it, but I didn't! Mother Nature did that, and I was lucky enough to see the artwork!
    Send that Anna's Hummingbird and the Cinnamon Teal to me on a westerly wind!

    ReplyDelete